Online registration: now open
The highlight of the Ballan Autumn Festival is always the colourful characters and floats that make up our Grand Parade.
2017 Theme: Our Pioneering Days
How much do you know about Ballan’s history? This year, we’re looking for floats and parade entries that tell the story of our pioneers. Heres some ideas for inspiration:
- The area around Ballan was part of the tribal area of the Wautharong people, part of the Kulin nation.
- The area was rich in fauna, including kangaroo, kangaroo rats, bandicoots, dingos, and two species of native cat
- The first European settlers crossed Bass Strait landing near Geelong and worked their way up the Moorabool River with their sheep flocks.
- Robert von Steiglitz first settled the area in 1838; he named the area after Ballan in Ireland. Other early settler names included Cowie, Stead, Wallace and Egerton.
- Gold was found in the area in 1851, which brought an influx of prospectors during the Victorian Gold Rush.
- The Ballan Hotel dates from the gold rush period in 1851. The town became an important staging point for coaches travelling to the Ballarat goldfields. The post office in the township opened around September 1853, although two earlier offices in the area were named Ballan.
What you need to know about the parade:
- Mayor’s Award for the most outstanding float by a community group
- Most popular sporting group
- Most outstanding commercial entry
- Most outstanding individual entry
- Most outstanding school entry
- Most outstanding classic car entry
- Most outstanding vintage machine entry
- Most outstanding festival theme entry
- Encouragement award
- Parade starts at 11am. If you are spectating, the good vantage points go early. Hang around the centre stage from 10:30am onwards.
- For entrants, parade marshalling begins at 10:30am.
- Parade entrants are to register to the parade marshalls no later than 10:45am.
- Classic / Vintage Cars
- Classic / Vintage Machinery
- Community Groups
- Dogs and other pets
- School Groups
- Sporting Groups
All parade entrants must pre-register online. Then, on the day, look for our parade marshalls who will be located on the corner of Stead and Steiglitz Street, Ballan. They will direct you as to where you will be positioned in the procession, and you will line up along Steiglitz Street in a pre-determined parade order.